Sunday, March 20, 2016

GRAPHIC NOVEL REVIEW : THE LITTLE FISH BY JAMES MOFFITT (A RETELLING OF IRANIAN REVOLUTION)


A couple of days ago I was rollin' on my Netgalley and saw this incredible cover which turned out it was a graphic novel. I haven't read any other graphic novel by this year yet, so this is like a refreshments... Apparently this graphic novel is still ongoing, and if I am not mistaken, there are a total of 6 issues altogether. The one that I requested on Netgalley apparently is the 3rd issue of the book, so I have to go get the first 2 books on my own.

TITLE : THE LITTLE FISH
AUTHOR : JAMES MOFFITT
ILLUSTRATOR : BIZHAN KHODABANDEH
PUBLISHER : ROSARIUM
PAGE COUNT : 30
RELEASE DATE : 15TH SEPT 2015 (#1), ? SEPT 2015 (#2), 23RD MARCH 2016 (#3)
SERIES : THE LITTLE FISH
GENRE : GRAPHIC NOVEL, FANTASY
GOODREADS #1 #2 #3

An aquatic reef held down by an oppressive regime of blood-thirsty heron struggles to rise up in this harrowing tale of self-discovery, heritage, and revolution. The Little Red Fish retraces the events of the Iranian Revolution portraying events from the perspective of those actually involved. Part historical text, part guerrilla warfare,The Little Red Fish is a six-part series focused on highlighting an often overlooked part of history. Oh, and there’s that magical orb thing…

This book is a representation/retelling of the Iranian Revolution 1979. Honestly, I don't really know much about it, and as I read these books I manage to do a mini research (googling, duh) and pretty much get the grasp of it. Again, I still would not say I knew much about it, but I didn't think it was necessary to read the comic. 

Since every issue only consists of about 30 pages, I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy the issue one by one... Since you'll tend to forget what was happening before. So better just get it all at once. On the first issue that I read, I was confused when I was in the midst of quite enjoying it and then suddenly it says "To Be continued...". *sigh*

About the illustrations, I sort of like the idea of the style. It is beautiful in one way, but a little gloomy too. And also, in some of the strips, the pictures' orientation was all over the place that it was kind of hard to keep up with which direction everyone is looking at, or which hand is doing which stuff (if you know what I mean...)

As of the story itself, I love it. It is a story about this ecosystem where there is a huge area in the sea where the fishes were living peacefully until the herons came and tried to eat everyone. The hero here is the big red bird and as the story goes, you will understand... I just don't ant to spoil that much. The action was great, pretty intense, keeping me on the edge of my seat every time there was a fighting scene. And by the end of the third issue I was like... "WHAAAT?? WHAT HAPPENED??". I would like to read the rest of the issues please!

MY AVERAGE RATING
(for all three books)


No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 3 BY 3 METERS
Maira Gall