Friday, March 18, 2016

BOOK REVIEW : MY BEST FRIEND'S EXORCISM BY GRADY HENDRIX

My month of February was a mess and I didn't even finish more than one book. I was worried before that it'll happen and it did. I am currently trying to get back on my feet, settle down with my new schedule and get back to reading. I have read a couple of book now and I wish to post all of their reviews but one step at a time. And today I want to make a review about this book I received from Netgalley, which I got super interested just by reading it's title and cover.

I have received an advance copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.



TITLE : MY BEST FRIEND'S EXORCISM
AUTHOR : GRADY HENDRIX
PUBLISHER : QUIRK BOOKS
PAGE COUNT : 336
RELEASE DATE : 17TH MAY 2016
SERIES : -
FOLLOWED BY : -
GENRE : HORROR, YOUNG ADULT
GOODREADS






Abby and Gretchen have been best friends since fifth grade, when they bonded over a shared love of E.T., roller-skating parties, and scratch-and-sniff stickers. But when they arrive at high school, things change. Gretchen begins to act . . . different. And as the strange coincidences and bizarre behavior start to pile up, Abby realizes there’s only one possible explanation: Gretchen, her favorite person in the world, has a demon living inside her. And Abby is not about to let anyone or anything come between her and her best friend. With help from some unlikely allies, Abby embarks on a quest to save Gretchen. But is their friendship powerful enough to beat the devil?


This book started off really cute. The friendship between Abby and Gretchen was so sweet, so adorable that I was smiling the whole time reading their childhood relationship. I also enjoy the 80s settings with girly teenage whimsies.
“Promise me you’ll always be my friend,” she said. “DBNQ,” Abby replied. It was their shorthand for “I love you.” Dearly But Not Queerly.
This Book is favorably easy and fast to read, the writing is so smooth, I flew through the pages like whooooot! The premise was very appealing when I first picked it out, and no setbacks whatsoever afterwards. There are many story details from the start I don’t even know if could manage to un-spoil the story. There are many music references too (which is cool).


And then the story turned from cute and adorable narratives into chills pretty instantly. I read the first one third of the book right before my bedtime and it gave me some childish creeps before actually dozing myself off. I might not consider the story as hardcore horror, but still I got intimidated by it - in a good way. Getting along with the characters was quit a ride… First I loved them, adore hem, then I was confused, annoyed, got tangled and twisted with them.  It was especially very miserable to see the damaged relationship between Gretchen and her parents. Imagine having a rough time on your own without your parents support on your teenage years! And then, close to the end, I just felt all the characters turned stupid. It's not that I hated them for being stupid, but they are just stupid. If you know what I mean.

The story starts to get a little bit slower in the middle but things falls back into pace pretty quickly afterwards too. The ending was quite intense for me and so it kept me going and it made me want to finish the book as fast as I could. In fact I finished in in two sitting and it was satisfactory. 

I'll have to say though, that the horror aspect of the story isn't really the highlight of the book. I mean, the story is pretty much the same, where someone got possessed, and then they got tied up on a bed, the demon appeared with creepy voices and all that... It all happened in every exorcism movie out there. But what made me love this book is the pure love-relation between this two girls, from the beginning to the end. It was beautiful. It made me remember my childhood best friends whom I rarely contact anymore, which made me feel quite sad.


I would recommend this to anyone who enjoy mediocre teenage horror story, as I do.

MY RATING



I have heard that the author, Grady Hendrix, had written another high-rated horror book called Horrorstör and reading it’s premise got me interested as well. What do you think?


No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 3 BY 3 METERS
Maira Gall