Tuesday, March 29, 2016

BOOK REVIEW : A MONSTER CALLS BY PATRICK NESS, SIOBHAN DOWD


I know I might be the last person to say this but, OMG, the movie trailer gave me chills.

TITLE : A MONSTER CALLS 
AUTHOR : PATRICK NESS, SIOBHAN DOWD
PUBLISHER : WALKER BOOKS
PAGE COUNT : 216
RELEASE DATE : 27TH SEPT 2011
SERIES : -
FOLLOWED BY : -
GENRE : HORROR, YOUNG ADULT, FANTASY
GOODREADS




The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.

But it isn’t the monster Conor’s been expecting. He’s been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he’s had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming…

This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.

It wants the truth.

It was not that he was actually invisible, the monster said, following conor, the room volume dropping as they passed. It was that people had become used to not seeing him.
And if no one sees you, the monster said, picking up its pace, too, are you really there at all?
One of my goals this year is to finish books that are going to be the upcoming movie of the year. This TBR pile is quite huge, and I was a late starter. As I am new to the reading world, I was not particularly familiar with Patrick Ness's works, although I knew a couple of huge titles written by him. But then the movie's trailer showed up on my You-tube recommendation's section and I was triggered by just looking at the thumbnail. I don't know if this is also a thing that other people do, but I rarely watch trailers (of the books that I want to read, but haven't read) because to me, trailers could reveal so much! I don't want to be spoiled, but I can't wait to watch the trailer, so I went on and read the book.

And like many other books, I listened to it on audiobook. It felt inconvenient to bring a book with me when I am standing in the middle of a crowded train each day I had to go to work, so audiobook is best. I might as well elaborate how I loooove audiobooks so so so much. But not in this post, perhaps.

So, I love the narrator very much. At some parts it gave me chills, made me laugh, made me cry... I had a great emotional ride listening to this book.

I guess many of you have already known that this book is based on the idea of Siobhan Dowd (RIP). I am not sure (and did not bother going through any extensive research) how much idea of Siobhan's did Patrick Ness involve and evolved, but it really turned out great and somehow I am happy for Siobhan Dowd that her idea of the story became one of the greatest story of the time.

Now about the story, I am also pretty sure everyone knows what this story is about. It's a bout a young boy, whose mother is suffering from an illness and throughout the story gets weaker and weaker. This story is about this boy (Conor) to learn how to let go and to learn about speaking out "the truth".

The whole work is beautiful. It contains a very subtle yet strong message till the end, and seeing a young boy grow... It's wonderful (I know I am getting super repetitive here). I also like how it was presented somehow like a fairy tale, like listening to it bring me back into childhood memories (which doesn't make sense, but it did) and understanding maturity at the same time.


MY RATING


No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 3 BY 3 METERS
Maira Gall