Friday, February 5, 2016

BOOK REVIEW : ME BEFORE YOU BY JOJO MOYES (AND WTF THE TRAILER!!!)

I started the month with a book of romance, which have been quite a hype in the book community (and really good reviews on GR) plus I heard that they’re going to make a movie out of it. I’ve always looooved reading books that are going to be adapted/ were already adapted into movies and knowing that I still have the chance to read it before the movie comes out, this book became so appealing to me.

TITLE : ME BEFORE YOU
AUTHOR : JOJO MOYES
PUBLISHER : PAMELA DORMAN BOOKS
PAGE COUNT : 369
RELEASE DATE : 31 DECEMBER 2012
SERIES : ME BEFORE YOU #1
FOLLOWED BY : AFTER YOU
GENRE : ADULT, ROMANCE, CONTEMPORARY
GOODREADS



Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.


Yes, yes. I genuinely enjoyed the book from start to finish, but then I don't really understand the hype this book received. Or maybe because there is a disabled character playing the role of prince charming? I am not sure. Now here is what I think about the book.

This book is about an adult girl, not really capable of doing anything other than serving at a cafe, who one day got fired because the cafe she worked at for years now had to discontinue. So she had to go and search for all the other possible job in the city and at last she found this personal carer job.She then met with the male protagonist, whom she would care for 6 months time. First she was so clueless as to how to 'care' for this man, but then gradually improving over time. 

I love how the relationship between the two protagonists started out very delicately. There are no 'love at first sight' and also no extreme 'hate at first sight' kind of thing like how many chick lits nowadays are. Will, the male protagonist, was a very, very, very depressing man and couldn't open up to anyone. He was likely to reject and complain and giving snide remarks on anyone trying to help him. That is why, when he started to accept Lou, the female protagonist, it was just so sweet.

I also love how this book is written in a calm and steady way (at least to me), which made it easy for me to follow through the pages without having to be agitated by every single plot. I like reading books that are just steady and letting me relax while being at it. And this book is also quite lengthy for a chick lit but I found no problems at all. In fact, the length of the book helped me grow my emotional relationship with each of the characters well. 

This book is heartwarming, with relatable and unpretentious characters, which at one point I grew annoyed by Lou's arrogance (I was annoyed, but then it is a recipe of a good book!). And by the way, at the beginning of the story, you would see how she was a type of girl who didn't really know what to do with her life and was just accepting the life she was going through without really living in it. It somehow reminded me of me, and it made me feel better after reading the entire book. 

I needed to tell him, silently, that things might change, grow or fail, but that life did go on. That we were all part of some great cycle, some pattern that it was only God's purpose to understand.
I worked out what would make me happy, and I worked out what I wanted to do, and I trained myself to do the job that would make those two things happen.

By the way, I was part reading and part listening to the audiobook too and I adore the Lou's narrator (I believe her name is Anna Bentinck). Love it! She is very lively and go through all the accents and emotions right on point. The other narrators were decent, but I really didn't enjoy Nathan's narrator at all :( Too flat, and like a robot.

Now apart from being a good book, there are some aspects that to me, sort of made this book not as perfect as I thought it would be. There are many cliches and what not which maybe me a essence of making a romance/chick lit story, but somehow I was not impressed.

1. There is a character that shut himself out from his family since entering adolescence
2.  There is a quirky awkward female with weird fashion sense
3. The girl never thought she was ever pretty, and the guy is as handsome and hell
4. There is the changing room scene where the female protagonist tried on a couple of dresses until at last the 'perfect dress' was revealed at the end, plus the impressed male protagonist
5. There is a scene where both protagonists became open towards each other and end up telling each other what they like the most, and at the end it became one of the iconic 'beautiful/meaningful gift' that the person ever received.

NOW ABOUT THE MOVIE TRAILER!
I just saw the movie trailer yesterday and damn! I think the actors did a great job! I am now so excited to watch the movie it gave me chills watching the trailer.

BOOK RATING


3 comments

  1. Oh, hi! Hahaha, we have the same blog theme. Anyway, I'm glad I came across this review. I saw the trailer for the movie and fell in love with it, but I wasn't quite sure if I should read the book first.

    heyitsgail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we do! I love this theme although I am thinking about upgrading it somehow in the future. Yes! I love the trailer very much. I usually get chills watching trailers from the book I have read, it just gave me a difference experience. Well definitely check out the book since I dont think it's a slow read a all :D And honestly the main female actor isn't what I picture the character to seem like so there's that.

      Delete
  2. I hope it's okay to use your comments to request a review! If you're interested, please contact me at maria_corley@hotmail.com.

    Here’s the blurb:

    Even though she lives hundreds of miles away, when Langston, who dreams of being a chef, meets Cecile, a Juilliard-trained pianist, he is sure that his history of being a sidekick, instead of a love interest, is finally over. Their connection is real and full of potential for a deeper bond, but the obstacles between them turn out to be greater than distance. Can these busy, complicated people be ready for each other at the same time? Does it even matter? Before they can answer these questions, each must do battle with the ultimate demon—fear.

    Told in a witty combination of standard prose, letters, emails, and diary entries, LETTING GO, in the tradition of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's AMERICANAH, is a long-distance love story that also examines race, religion, and the difficult choices we make following our passions. From the Great White North to the streets of New York City to the beaches of Bermuda, LETTING GO is a journey of longing, betrayal, self-discovery and hope you will never forget.

    If you think you might be interested, I can send a mobi, epub, or pdf.

    Links to Amazon, Goodreads, and Barnes and Noble are below. I have also included samples from the companion CD, which consists of my performances of pieces mentioned in the book, along with readings of passages that refer to them. My novel was published on Createspace, July 4, 2016.

    Here's my bio:

    Maria Thompson Corley is a Canadian pianist (MM, DMA, The Juilliard School) of Jamaican and Bermudian descent, with experience as a college professor, private piano instructor, composer, arranger and voice actor. She has contributed to Broad Street Review since 2008, and also blogs for Huffington Post. Her first novel, Choices, was published by Kensington.

    Thanks!
    Maria
    https://youtu.be/F7X42fibmEQ

    Chopin Fourth Ballade in F Minor, Op. 54
    youtu.be
    Maria Thompson Corley, piano From the CD "Music from the Novel Letting Go" available on iTunes; Dec. 15, 2016 on Amazon and Createspace. "Letting Go: A Novel...

    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/F7X42fibmEQ/hqdefault.jpg
    Chopin Fourth Ballade in F Minor, Op. 54
    youtu.be
    Maria Thompson Corley, piano From the CD "Music from the Novel Letting Go" available on iTunes; Dec. 15, 2016 on Amazon and Createspace. "Letting Go: A Novel...


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze-xJz4qcmQ
    https://www.bing.com/th?id=OVP.-6DZGMEOUHrjqww-M_FJfAHgFo&pid=Api
    An excerpt from the Novel "Letting Go"
    www.youtube.com
    Read by the author. Letting Go by Maria Thompson Corley is available on Createspace, Smashwords, and Amazon. Music from Letting Go, featuring readings and piano ...


    https://www.amazon.com/Letting-Go-Maria-Thompson-Corley/dp/1535044373/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470877840&sr=8-1&keywords=maria+thompson+corley+letting+go

    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/maria+corley+letting+go?_requestid=201988

    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31081165-letting-go?ac=1&from_search=true

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 3 BY 3 METERS
Maira Gall