Sunday, January 24, 2016

BOOK REVIEW : MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN by Ransom Riggs

TITLE : MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR 
PECULIAR CHILDREN
AUTHOR : RANSOM SIGGS
PAGE COUNT : 352
RELEASE DATE : JUNE 2011
SERIES : MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR 
PECULIAR CHILDREN #1
FOLLOWED BY : HOLLOW CITY
GENRE : FANTASY, HORROR, YOUNG ADULT,
MYSTERY, HISTORICAL FICTION,
TIME TRAVEL
GOODREADS


A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of curious photographs.

A horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.


I read this book right after I have finished reading Sailing to Sarantium which, if you want,you can read my review here. As I have mentioned in the review, Sailing to Sarantium is not a fast paced nor enjoyable read, where flipping through the pages is an easy job. I might be over-exagerating when saying that reading it has been a torture, but it is one of the slowest-paced book that I have ever experienced reading.


On the contrary, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children started out fresh and easy to read. I flew through the pages really easily and enjoying every bits and parts of it. I am both truly happy so as thankful for this choice of book, it gave back my reading mood instantly.



I also like the fact that the size of the paperback that I bought is a little smaller than what books' size usualy are. The size made it easier to hold, and less heavier. It is also one reason why I like to buy mass production books too (aside from the price). Another interesting thing about this book (as a lot of you would have probably known already) are the photo references attached throughout the book, which made the story seemed real and it adds up the creepy aspect of it. Although I have to admit, the edits on the photographs here aren't that good. In other words, you can easily tell how obvious the picture have been photoshoped. But as you finished the novel, you would in the back of the book it said that some of the pictures were actually real pictures from some collections I have never heard of, which confuses me a bit. (?)

I was also listening to the audiobok while reading it. Listening to the audiobook with twice the speed made reading easier and faster. The audiobook was decent, I would rate it 3.5 out of 5 stars. The narator did try to make voices and accents, but I would not say it's the best audiobook I have everheard.

Now lets talk about the story.
"so one day my mother sat me down and explained that I couldn't become an explorer because everything in the world had already been discovered. I'd been born in the wrong century, and felt cheated."
This story begins with a little boy, Jacob, who - like other little children- love and want to believe in magics and wonders of the world, beyond imagination. Since he was a kid, his grandfather had told him stories about an orphanage where he once lived as a kid during WWII, and that orphanage was not any ordinary orphanage, but was in fact home for peculiar children. His grandfather would show Jacob a bunch wierd photographs of the peculiar kids he once lived together with, just to show Jacob that he was telling the truth. The photographs seemed real and believable back when Jacob was 5, or 7, yes. But as Jacob grew older, he started to doubt his grandfather's words, and as he grew into a teenage lad, he then simply thought that his grandfather was just old. It was until a tragedy happened (I am not sure if revealing this is going to spoil it so I better just not say). Following the tragedy, Jacob was left with some unsolved mysteries and many unraveling secrets. This made Jacob  so eager to find out for the truth; about the "home for peculiar children" which apparently was located in the Welsh Islands, and also about who he truly is.

The last 30-40 pages of the book is where you will begin to find a packed-up, intense action scene with fighting and bloods and deaths. The whole scenario was so unnerving I was super hooked. In my honest opinion though, the climax of the plot is too short for me. I was scared for a while, and then the story finished. I WANT MORE. Overall, when I first picked this book up in the bookstore I thought there would be scary ghosts and sleepless nights. But it didn't turn out that way. So if you also had the same thought, then you're looking at the wrong book. This is more of a fun MG-YA horror story; more comical and adventurous, with a little hint of humor. And anyway it is becoming a Tim Burton movie, so you can just imagine this book's similarities with most of Tim Burton's animated horror movies - they are somehow alike in theme.

I would recommend this book for people who enjoy Neil Gaiman/Holly Black's books.

That's it! Have a great reading month everyone! And keep doing what you love!
Nijiko

BOOK RATING

Have you read this book? Tell me what you think!


3 comments

  1. Haduhh.. aku nggak kesampaian baca buku ini. Belum apap2 udah ngeri duluan liat covernya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Iya cover + foto-foto didalamnya emang ada beberapa yang nyeremin sih. Tp kalau untuk ceritanya sendiri engga serem sama skali. Lebih mirip Corpse Bride atau Coraline gitu :D

      Delete
  2. Haha! Iya cover + foto-foto didalamnya emang ada beberapa yang nyeremin sih. Tp kalau untuk ceritanya sendiri engga serem sama skali. Lebih mirip Corpse Bride atau Coraline gitu :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 3 BY 3 METERS
Maira Gall