Tuesday, January 26, 2016

BOOK REVIEW : HELP ME BY DONNA M ZADUNAJSKY

I have received an advance copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.

TITLE : HELP ME!
AUTHOR : DONNA M ZADUNAJSKY
PAGE COUNT : 125
RELEASE DATE : 26 JANUARY 2016
TYPE : NOVELLA
GENRE : YOUNG ADULT, CONTEMPORARY
GOODREADS
AMAZON


A novella about a boy named Mick and his struggles with life. His parent’s divorce and a friend’s suicide make his world unbearable.

Each “cut” has a deeper meaning. A cry for help. 
“I spin my dad’s Ruger SP101 revolver on the wood floor of my bedroom. Sometimes, just to see what it feels like, I place the tip of the gun against my temple, but I never once pull the trigger. NO!” 

“I’m more into the slice of the blade against my skin and the blood running down my arm.” “It relieves so much pressure.” “And I can breathe again…”
Only focus on the things that make you happy, the other things cause you to just be very unfortunate...
No matter where you go, what you wear, or who you hang out with, there will always be people finding fault and bullying you about it.

THIS. This book. I am currently reading another arc that I received from Netgalley, but then I felt like pausing the book for a little while and look through my Netgalley shelf and see what I can pick up next. I remember requesting this book because of the cover, and the title. As a teenager I might thought about being suicidal myself but thankfully it never happened; I am thankful for all the support and company my family gave me. And recently, one of my best friends also encountered the same. So that is why this book caught my attention right away.

I have to admit I don't fancy the way the author wrote the book, since it didn't seem natural to me. But I can't blame much since the author is an adult, writing a book from teens' perceptive. And the novella was too short for me to understand the background issue of the main character, why he was depressed, and then suicidal. But I get the idea of the story. The very much of it. I think this turned out to be a really beautiful novella. Short, simple, and right on point. It is very fast paced, and it only took me an hour to finish.

This book has two part, each from a different person's perspective. One of them is from Mick's perspective. In the beginning of the book I didn't specifically had any sympathy towards Mick, but as it continued, without me even noticing it until the end of the book, I do care about this boy. And I think this is the problem with suicidal teens today. People (including me) would likely underestimate teens problem, view them as "nothing serious". I was a teenage not long ago and I know how it felt. But I also know how it felt now to not really care.

I hope this book can raise awareness towards suicidal cases, not just teens, because everyone have equal potentials. And not just about self-harming, but also towards bullying and depression.

Remember guys, keep doing what you love.

Nijiko

BOOK RATING

Pick this book up!

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 3 BY 3 METERS
Maira Gall