Thursday, January 28, 2016

BOOK REVIEW : DIARY OF ANNA THE GIRL WITCH BY MAX CANDEE

I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Hello again! This is my 3rd ARC review for this month. I thought this month I was going to have a reading slump but then I am happy I was wrong. I think making my own book review blog made me more productive than I usually were. I was hoping to finish another ARC this month (I picked a small book) and hopefully I can go ahead and review before February starts. So here is the most recent book I have just finished, I read it as an ARC from Netgalley, I wasn't sure when the exact publish date was, because in Netgalley it said January 2016, but in Goodreads it said back in 2014. Here's a review on the book:

TITLE : DIARY OF ANNA THE GIRL WITCH
AUTHOR : MAX CANDEE
ILLUSTRATOR : RAQUEL BARROS
PUBLISHER : HELVETIC HOUSE
PAGE COUNT : 159
RELEASE DATE : 7 DECEMBER 2014
SERIES : DIARY OF ANNA THE WITCH GIRL #1
GENRE : MIDDLE GRADE, FANTASY, MYSTERY

What do you do when you discover you’re a witch... And that using your new powers destroys your soul a little each time? 

Set in the Swiss countryside, this story blends ancient folklore with a coming of age tale about a young witch on the brink of womanhood. 

Anna Sophia has always known she was different. She didn’t know just how different until now. 

On the eve of her 13th birthday — in the orphanage where she’s spent most of her childhood — Anna wonders about her past. She never knew her parents, doesn’t even know where she came from. All she has to go by is an unbelievable fairy tale her uncle used to tell: that she was found as a baby, tucked among a pack of bear cubs in the wilds of Russia. 

To make matters even more complex, Anna has discovered that she can see and do things that no one else can. So far, she’s kept her powers a secret, and they remain strange and frightening even to her. 

It’s only when Anna receives a letter from her mother — a mother she will never meet — that she discovers some of the truths about her past, and begins to uncover the possibilities in her future. As Anna continues to learn more about her secret abilities, she finds out that her neighbors are hiding something of their own: a plot to harm Anna and her friends. 

Can Anna Sophia use her newfound supernatural powers to stop them? Can she fight back, without endangering her own soul? And maybe, just maybe, is her own secret tied up with theirs? 

Through a story of otherworldly magic, Anna Sophia finds a sense of real-world belonging. With its cast of strong characters, inventive setting, and engaging storyline, this fantasy adventure is a relevant novel for middle grade children or young adults. 
Be kind, yes. But also be wary.

It was too easy. Darkness and evil are easy. happiness takes work. 
Captivated by the book cover, I requested this book on Netgalley and expected magic and adventure. Oh gosh, this book is so much fun and I love how the author made a very heartwarming story for children to read. This is certainly not a long book and I got to finish it in one sitting. The characters are just what kids should be : playful, childish, silly, innocent, enthusiastic, and the story line is fanastically enchanting.This book is also illustrated but the illustrations are okay. Most of the pictures are basically just line art, with little color. 


This is a story about an orphan girl, Anna Sophia, who lives in an orphanage in Geneva. She founds out that she possesses some kind of superpower the day she turned 13 in one summer day. Not only that she discoveres her witch inheritance, she also runs into a series of hints pointing towards the creepy Montmorencys family. Anna is a very brave and heroic girl, not afraid of fighting evil and always had the decency to help others. In this book, I get to see Anna maturing through the pages, both from the way she thinks and the way she acts. She had just turned 13 and still learning good and evil, trying to use her magic power for good and hide the potential of being a bad witch. Her journey to uncover the mysterious secrets of the Montmorencys family made me feel panicked for her (I was never as brave as that when I was 13 years old!).

Readers may find that there is no pretense in the way she wrote her diaries, she sounds a lot like like how usual kids would sound like, plus she also likes to ramble, which made it exciting to read and really cute. You may find some of the repetitive backstory explanation to be bothersome and boring, but overall the story is super original and not cheesy at all. I dived into the story quite quickly once I started it, and the book left a memorable impression once I finished. Why was my childhood so boring?

The story is likable, but it's not like a super-duper sensational or breathtaking one to me. I guess maybe because this is meant to be a MG book. But the ending of the book holds so much lessons to be learnt (which is good). I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys magics and youthful adventures together with likable teen characters who like to investigate creepy mysteries. Enjoy!

BOOK RATING



  

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 3 BY 3 METERS
Maira Gall