Wednesday, January 27, 2016

BOOK REVIEW : COGLING BY JORDAN ELIZABETH MIEREK

I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.

TITLE : COGLING
AUTHOR : JORDAN ELIZABETH MIEREK
PUBLISHER : CURIOSITY QUILL PRESS
PAGE COUNT : 285
RELEASE DATE : 25 JANUARY 2016
TYPE : STANDALONE
GENRE : MIDDLE GRADE, YOUNG ADULT,
FANTASY,STEEMPUNK
AMAZON

When fifteen-year-old Edna Mather tears an expensive and unfamiliar pocket watch off her little brother's neck, he crumbles into a pile of cogs right before her eyes. Horrified, Edna flees for help, but encounters Ike, a thief who attempts to steal the watch before he realizes what it is: a device to power Coglings—clockwork changelings left in place of stolen children who have been forced to work in factories

Desperate to rescue her brother, Edna sets off across the kingdom to the hags' swamp, with Ike in tow. There, they learn Coglings are also replacing nobility so the hags can stage a rebellion and rule over humanity. Edna and Ike must stop the revolt, but the populace believes hags are helpful godmothers and healers. No one wants to believe a lowly servant and a thief, especially when Ike has secrets that label them both as traitors. 

Together, Edna and Ike must make the kingdom trust them or stop the hags themselves, even if Ike is forced to embrace his dark heritage and Edna must surrender her family.

This book had caught my every interest since the beginning of the prologue! It is a middle grade/young adult/steam-punk/fantasy novel with magic, automatons, hags (OMG, I hate them so so much), ogres, dragons, foxkins! and so much more fascinating creatures and things.

I flipped through the pages with no slightest problems, it does't drag the story at all, super fast-paced and every single turning page is exceedingly exhilarating. I did cringe a little bit at some of the torturous experiments.

I have watched several numbers of steampunk movies but I believe this is the first steampunk novel I have ever read (yes, I know, it's crazy) and I didn't regret spending my time reading it. It actually made me want to read more. And I want to read more of Jordan's works. 


This is a story about a girl named Edna who suddenly lost her brother to some hags. Hags are known to kidnap little kids and enslave them in their factories. This whole book tells the whole process of Edna trying to rescue her brother from the hags and also her struggles to banish the hags. In the process, she met a guy named Ike (cool name, huh) who then accompanied Edna through her journey.

The characters are lovable and realistic (a number of them are straight up pain in the butt), the creatures and technology are fascinating, it also often mention some kind of religion that Edna strongly believes in. I really appreciate how both Edna's and Ike's characters sounds believable and they acted so well throughout the story. I might have gotten annoyed by Edna's religious nature sometimes, since they are pretty repetitive, but I guess that's just who Edna is as a person.

Although I really enjoy reading this book, I do feel like somehow I have read this kind of story before, just with different characters and places. One or two elements of the story are quite common among the YA writings. But then again, not a big deal, because this IS a great book, and there are many more cliche YA out there that can't beat this.

I highly recommend this book to anyone and I hope you guys would enjoy it as much as I did.

ps: The cover art is stunning and I hope this turns into a fancy movie!

BOOK RATING

BUY THIS BOOK! 

2 comments

  1. First of all that cover is beautiful! WOW. I haven't read a middle grade novel for quite some time so I think I'd probably be out of my element; however, your review makes it sound like a wonderful tale with some pretty unique and quirky characters (how could I say no to that?!). I'll have to add this gem to my TBR. Thanks so much for sharing, Nij! and such a fantastic review :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, it's a beautiful cover. Yes! I enjoyed this book very much. And this book haven't received any hype yet, it's so underrated :( I hope more people get to pick up this book and spread the word :D I love reading all your reviews too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 3 BY 3 METERS
Maira Gall